BioBrian Postalian (Բրայն Փոսթալյան) is a theatre director, producer, and performance creator born and raised in Toronto/Tkaronto by way of Armenia, Ireland, Wales, and the Czech Republic. Brian is the founding Artistic Director of Re:Current Theatre, which produced the sold-out SummerWorks hit The Smile Off Your Face. Previously, he was the Artistic Producer of CRAPSHOOT! at Theatre Passe Muraille, and Compass Points Curator at Canada’s Magnetic North Theatre Festival. He has been a guest lecturer at the University of Toronto and Ryerson University. He completed a Master of Fine Arts at Simon Fraser University’s School for the Contemporary Arts in Theatre Game Design and Interdisciplinary Performance Studies.
Brian is an alumni of the Artist Producer Training program (Generator), Young Creators Unit (Buddies in Bad Times Theatre), SummerWorks Leadership Intensive Program (SummerWorks), Compass Points (Magnetic North Festival), and was a member of the inaugural Devised Theatre Lab at Common Boots Theatre. Brian has trained with The Workcenter of Jerzy Grotowski and Thomas Richards, the Volcano Theatre Conservatory and was featured in Volcano’s Emerging Artist series along with his colleague Jackie Rowland for their work This is What I Know. Brian’s work has been featured on “Best of the Year” lists, received Outstanding Direction (NOW Magazine), Best Production (SummerWorks 2017), nomination for Outstanding Direction (MyEntertainmentWorld), and he has been described as “clearly unafraid to try just about anything”.
On his spare time, he likes to visit used book stores, ride his bicycle, volunteer and is learning how to draw and play the Armenian duduk. Brian currently lives on the unceded Coast Salish territories (also known as Vancouver, BC).
I am a theatre director, producer, and performance creator. In each sense, I work as a facilitator of language, storytelling, and communitas, using personal history, trauma, and humour to consider how we connect to each other in a shared space.
|New Societies Online||Crow's Theatre||Director / Creator||March 18-28, 2021|
|Micro Residency||Anvil Centre, New Media Gallery||Creator||April 2021|
|HIVE||Re:Current Theatre / HIVE Performance Collective||Creator, Co-Producer||June 2021|
|Access Me||Boys in Chairs Collective||Associate Director, Co-Creator||Postponed|
- 2020 | Creative Armenia Self-Quar Experiment Shortlist
- 2020 | FCAT Dean’s Graduate Convocation Medal (nomination)
- 2020 | National Theatre School Art Apart (Card Game)
- 2020 | Ontario Arts Council: Theatre Creators Reserve (Suitcase In Point), 100 Bad Plays...
- 2018 | Performing Arts Scholarship, Armenian General Benevolent Union
- 2018 | Joseph Armand Bombardier SSHRC Scholarship
- 2018 | John Juliani Grad Fellowship in Theatre
- 2017 | Outstanding Direction nomination, MyEntertainmentWorld (The Smile Off Your Face)
- 2017 | Award for Best Production, SummerWorks (The Smile Off Your Face)
- 2017 | Outstanding Production, NOW Magazine (The Smile Off Your Face)
- 2017 | Outstanding Direction, NOW Magazine (The Smile Off Your Face)
- 2017 | Best of SummerWorks, Torontoist (The Smile Off Your Face)
- 2017 | Performing Arts Scholarship, Armenian General Benevolent Union
- 2017 | Graduate Fellowship, Simon Fraser University
- 2017 | Ontario Arts Council: Theatre Creators Reserve (Theatre Centre, Cabaret Company) (This Is What I Know)
- 2016 | Featured in Volcano Theatre's Emerging Artist Series
- 2012 | Best Direction nomination, University of Toronto Drama Coalition Awards (Salome)
- 2017-19 | Master of Fine Arts, Simon Fraser University School of Contemporary Arts
- 2017 | Artist Producer Training, Generator
- 2014 | Honours Bachelor of Arts, with High Distinction, University of Toronto/Sheridan College
- 2014 | SummerWorks Leadership Intensive Program
- 2014/15 | Young Creators Unit, Buddies In Bad Times
- 2014 | Compass Points, Magnetic North Theatre Festival